Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Quirky Octagons~"Project UFO"

Here we are with another "UFO". (Un-Finished Object) Because I am nearing completion on my Jacobian Pomegranate Crewel Piece, I am enthusiastic about bringing out this lovely.
"Dusty Blue" pieces to the afghan.
This quirky octagon is actually part of a afghan! It looks like it will end up all askew, but besides the octagons, I will be making little squares to put in between. The picture on the back of the pattern is actually very symmetrical. It is all the different colors that make it look like it could be all uneven and just thrown together (in a good way).

The reason this project is a "UFO" is the octagons. :) When I first started this blanket I was on a crotchet-high from finishing my first (albeit smallish) afghan. It was in a gorgeous blue and brown varying yarn in a wave pattern. It was much more simple then this pattern, but I liked the look.

I went to Michael's (the best store on the planet, if you ask me) and picked out all the yarn of the same dye-lot with my Mom. Everything went as planned, until I began to crotchet. At the time, I didn't have quite enough experience with making circular objects, and unfortunately, many of the octagons I did in the first color, "Navy", are different sizes. I admit, it was so frustrating I stored it away for a year and then tried again.

The second round went much more smoothly! I was able to make all of the "Dusty Green" octagons and finish the little squares for the "Navy". Then, for some reason-possibly pillowcase season-it got put back into my closet.

The color isn't the best, but this is "Dusty Blue" making a
reappearance and "Dusty Green".
As of today, I have finished the octagons of four of the five colors. (!!!!) I am working on the final color, "Linen", right now. After the octagons are finished I will work on the squares and begin putting it together! I am finishing the octagons first so that they will all be the same size for sure. :)

This is a project that I was really excited about completing when I picked it out, and the excitement is still here! I am hoping to finish within the next two weeks.

What projects have you left undone that you would like to get back to?



Have a good one!
Alexis

No comments:

Post a Comment