Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Hiding Place-Corrie's Question

In my reading of The Hiding Place yesterday (I read chapters five and six) I came across something that really struck me. In chapter five, Corrie asks herself the question: "How should a Christian act when evil is in power?" I decided to do some research.
First, I found verses in my Bible pertaining to authorities. Romans 13:1 says "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God." Hitler was put into power by God, but he destroyed Christians and Jews all over Holland (And everywhere else, but we are talking about The Hiding Place, which starts out in Holland). So what should Christians do when others around them are hunted and destroyed? In Titus 3:1 Paul tells Titus to remind the Church "to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work," Christians must be subject and submissive to authority, and the Ten Booms were! They had fulfilled all the requirements Hitler placed before them, so when did they begin the rebellion that caused Corrie to ask this question? In Acts 5:29, Peter and the Apostles replied to their oppressors, "We must obey God rather then men." The German invaders in Holland specifically targeted Jews and began destroying their shops, families, and taking their lives. The Ten Booms began their rebellion by protecting a persecuted people, by housing them and sending them to better, more hidden places.
The question: "How should a Christian act when evil is power?" is answerable by using God's word! As Christians we must obey the authorities put over us, but we must only obey them up to a point. When Man's laws interfere with God's laws, Christians shouldn't obey them. Later on in Corrie's book, the Ten Booms begin hiding Jews in a secret room, purposefully deceiving German authorities. As the authority interfered with God's law by singling out a race and destroying them, the Ten Booms chose God's law first.
I wonder, could I do that? Could I live in hiding? Is my faith strong enough? I don't know, but as Corrie's father says, God will give us our "ticket" when we need it- right before we get on the train.

3 comments:

  1. It's ALWAYS a good idea to do our research in God's word. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I would contend however, that the Ten Booms weren't living in "fear" but in a keen awareness of God's sovereignty and their condition. She testifies that as fear crept in, the Lord provided her strength and His Word was sufficiently her shield. What an amazing thought! Thanks for making me ponder today...
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete